In the Apg3 classification several clades are recognised. There are several families not easily assigned to one clade, but still somewhat related, like Limeaceae and Physenaceae.
In the Plant theory the above clade is given the name Physenales. Physenales is placed in Phase 3 of the Caryophyllidae. The division in Subphases is tentative.
1. Limeaceae: subshrub, herbs; tropical; Africa, South Asia.
2. Stegnospermataceae or Stegnospermaceae: 1 genus, Stegnosperma; 3 species; woody plants; Caribbean and Central America; segregated from Phytolaccaceae; more similar to Caryophyllaceae than to Phytolaccaceae.
3. Asteropeiaceae: 1 genus, Asteropeia; 5 species; Madagascar.
4. Physenaceae: 1 genus, Physena; 2 species; shrubs; Madagascar.
Physenaceae: Physena, 2 species.
5. Rhabdodendraceae: 1 genus, Rhabdodendron; 3 species; tropical South American: trees; Rhabdodendron had a very lively history as to taxonomic placement.